What can I say about May? It is lovely – green, colorful, and lush. Soft grass beneath my feet, flowers poking up through the earth, listening to the song birds sing a sweet tune, squirrels chasing each other around the yard, and the bunnies nibbling on the grass outside my screened-in porch. I think May is one of my favorite months! May means the end of the school year is approaching, morning schedules go on hiatus shortly, late nights and sleeping in on the weekends will so be here.
- May 1st is May Day! Pick up a bouquet of flowers or a small potted plant and leave it on the porch of a neighbor or close friend.
- Plant a garden! Stop by your local garden center and pick up one or two new things to plant in your yard this spring.
- Attend a Public Viewing Night at Fox Park Observatory in Potterville on May 5th or May 6th.
- Join the Michigan History Center on May 6th for Michigan Day!
- May 13th is the annual Letter Carriers’ Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive. Leave a non-perishable item in your mailbox before your mail is delivered and help fight hunger!
- Plan to attend the Eat Healthy: Eat Local Festival in downtown St. Johns on May 13th!
- Visit a local farmer’s market and stock up on fresh produce, hand-made goods, and sweets! For a list of local farmer’s markets, click here.
- Find a shady tree, spread out a blanket, and have a picnic.
- Go for a family walk or bike ride.
- Discover a new playground. Click here for some of our favorites.
- Plan to attend the Alma Highland Festival parade and Highland games over Memorial Weekend.
I’d love to hear about what you are planning to do this upcoming May! Please share below.